Sunday, December 13, 2009

Living to the Hilt

The Lord has taught me some things this fall which have really changed my thinking and outlook on life.

I have a burden and a desire to serve the Lord in full-time service. Right now though, I am in a transitional phase, waiting for the next "big" step. I have a desire, if it is the Lord's will, to serve Him on the mission field.

While in this waiting stage, my initial thinking was, "I could serve Him so much better right now if I was on the mission field or serving Him full-time." I also have other friends who are waiting for God's will in different areas. Some are waiting for visas to get to the field, others are waiting to meet "Mr. Right" and still others are waiting for the Lord to open up some area of service. In each of these cases, as well as my own, I have thought the same thing. "Wouldn't we be serving God so much better if our circumstances were different, the way we think they should be?"

God has taught me though, that the best place I can serve Him, is right where He has placed me. I know that I am in His will living at home, working the jobs I have and helping in my home church. It is not God's will for me to "Go" yet. Therefore, the best place I can serve God today, is right here. Who even knows what tomorrow will bring? We are so caught up in how we are going to serve God that we forget to serve Him today, this very hour or minute. 

Recently, in a message, our pastor made the statement that the will of God begins with the vacuum cleaner. The VACUUM CLEANER?!!! I always had the mindset that cleaning and other such tasks had little or no eternal value when in reality they do. God has commanded that we do all things decently and in order. Maybe all God's will for me today is to improve on doing things decently and in order by cleaning and organizing. The little things in life matter much more than we comprehend. They do add up!

Jim Elliot said, "Wherever you are, be all there. Live to the hilt ever situation you believe to be the will of God." If you know you are in the center of God's will, then give it all you've got! Who knows if you'll even have another day to serve the Lord?

Colossians 10:31 

"Whether therefore ye eat, or drink, or whatsoever ye do, do all to the glory of God."


"The will of God is like a rose, unfolding one petal at a time."

2 comments:

Anna Payne said...

i like it, Julia

Unknown said...

Waiting is VERY HARD. But, so worth it!

I met my husband when I wasn't looking. I had HAD it with men so decided that with the Lord's help, I would not look. Well, it was during that time of not looking that God "dropped" Greg in my lap!

Hang in there! I love your blog!!!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails