Friday, January 22, 2010

Taking up My Cross

 


Galatians 2:20 
I am crucified with Christ: nevertheless I live; yet not I, but Christ liveth in me: and the life which I now live in the flesh I live by the faith of the Son of God, who loved me, and gave himself for me.

Matthew 10:38
  And he that taketh not his cross, and followeth after me, is not worthy of me.

Matthew 16:24
Then said Jesus unto his disciples, If any man will come after me, let him deny himself, and take up his cross, and follow me.

 This year I have been wanting to focus on an area spiritually in my life. I have thought of several verses, but it has taken me several weeks for the Lord to show me what area needs the most work in my life. There are plenty of areas which could be improved, but the one the Lord has impressed upon me is the need to completely die to myself.

I am one of those people who like to plan and can be very disjointed when people interrupt my schedule with needing me to do this or that. It is so easy to go about MY life and be worrying about what I need to get done and neglect to serve others along life's way.

I think many Christians are like the Priest and Levite in the story of the Good Samaritan. If I had to decide who I am most like in this story, it would have to be one of them. I am sure they were busy needing to get to their next "appointment" or too busy "serving" God to stop and help that poor man. How many people do we overlook who need an encouraging word, a helping hand or even more importantly to hear the gospel? So many times I go to the store and am in such a hurry to take the time to stop and hand the cashier a tract. Isn't this why we are here on the earth to serve others?

What better example is there than the Lord Jesus Christ who was never too busy to stop and show a little compassion. He took the time to talk to the "woman at the well." He took the time to gather little children up in His arms. He took the time to talk to the woman with the issue of blood. He could of just kept on going, after all He knew who had touched Him and He knew that she was healed. He lived a completely selfless life. He is the Almighty God, yet He was not afraid to become a servant of His own creation, mankind.

This year I am praying that the Lord will help me to die to myself in a much greater way than I have ever done before. I want to be completely emptied of myself, my plans, my hopes, and my dreams that I might be fully surrendered to Him that He might be glorified and honored through my life.

John 3:30,  
" He must increase, but I must decrease."

1 comment:

Katie said...

I love your blog!!!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails